HOMEGROWN HAPPINESS – FOOD GARDENS WEEKEND
with Coen Meintjes – At the Tikologo Permaculture Project
Join Tikologo for a long weekend getaway and learn how to grow your own organic edible garden. Facilitator, Coen Meintjes, will guide you through the necessary steps of designing and establishing a Permaculture food garden.
The 3 day food gardening workshop will cover everything you need to know in order to start establishing your very own abundant home food garden.
- Edible garden design – site location, planting layers, edges and pathways, functional structures
- Preparing vegetable beds – types of soil, double digging, broad forking, sheet mulching, tarping, raised beds
- Creating living soil – understanding weeds, compost, earthworms, green manure, herbal teas
- Propagation + planting – growing mediums and containers, seed treatment, sowing seeds, hardening off, thinning and planting out, seedling protection
- Companion planting – crop rotation, planting with herbs and ornamentals, layers and succession planting
- Organic garden maintenance – mulching, protection from the elements, common pest control
- Harvesting the goodness – harvesting, extending the yield, saving seed, sharing and returning the surplus
The course will include both theoretical training in the classroom as well as getting dirty with practical sessions in the garden. Please bring a note pad and pen, gardening clothes, gloves and sun protection. Cameras are welcome too. Bring walking shoes if you wish to hike to the waterfall on Saturday afternoon. And marshmallows should you want to indulge in Sunday night’s bonfire.
Please take note that the workshop starts with Friday evening supper and ends with lunch on Monday.
Friday 30th March – Monday 2nd April 2018 (Easter long weekend)
Includes facilitation fee, shared accommodation for 3 nights and 3 healthy vegetarian meals per day
Tikologo Permaculture Farm
Training Centre Site at Tara Rokpa Centre, Groot Marico district, North West Province (only 250km from Jozi)
BOOKINGS AND PAYMENT
Please complete a booking form to save your space.